home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsbbsus.lha / MAX154 / TBM / Txt / daisy.txt < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-25  |  9KB  |  159 lines

3.   A lot of people don't understand how easy it is to add additional hard
  4. drives to their systems, so allow me to fill you in on the scoop.  You may
  5. not believe it when you first understand just what I'm saying; I didn't when
  6. I first heard it.  It's so simple it's a little unreal that it works.  And
  7. this also works for other SCSI drives, like CD-ROMs and tape drives.
  10.   I'll give you step-by-step directions, so make a capture buffer of this for
  11. later use.  Make sure to read all the way through it first, of course, so you
  12. can jot down any parts you might need.  This might sound a bit complicated,
  13. but it's really not, and it's actually kind of fun.  
  15.   Let me first just visualize it for you:  You have a wide SCSI cable that
  16. runs from your controller to the hard drive.  Clamp this little splitter bar
  17. across it, and run another cable from the first cable to the second hard
  18. drive.  That's it!  Told you ya wouldn't believe it.
  20.   Unless the power supply of your system supports more than one drive, you
  21. will have to pick up an additional power supply, but a decent one's not
  22. expensive.  They have a $35 special over at Weird Stuff that's terrific; well
  23. made, nice fan, runs four drives.  I think Haltek (Halsted?) also has them.
  25.   I have two controllers, a DataFlyer and an GVP, and the following works for
  26. both of them, so unless you've got something really odd, it should work for
  27. you, too.  Your controller may have a smaller-sized jack on the back, but
  28. that's not the one we want.  You can use it, but you'll have to go through
  29. some cable conversions.  We want the 50-pin one inside the controller.  If
  30. your controller has a 50-pin outlet on the back, good, use that.
  33.   The way the computer keeps them apart is by their UNIT number, the number
  34. you see in the mountlist.  If you don't have a mountlist because you
  35. <shudder> "auto-boot", use whatever program you have to address the second
  36. drive so you can change its UNIT number.  
  38.   You tell the drive itself that it's now a different unit number by moving
  39. or adding those little jumper blocks on the back of the drive, but we'll get
  40. to that.
  44.   Tools Required:
  46.   We're gonna yank open the controller, so look to see what it needs.
  47. Probably either a small Phillips screwdriver, or one of them #10 5-point
  48. jobbies, available at Orchard.
  50.   Before you do anything else, make a fresh copy of your controller's Install
  51. disk.  We'll want that for the new drive. 
  54.   Parts Required:
  56.   -Jumper block for back of drive, might have a spare already on it.
  58.   -For two drives, a SCSI "daisy-chain" cable, available at Fry's.
  60.   -For more than two drives, you'll not only need additional daisy cables, but
  61. since the cables are all female ends, you're going to need one (or more) of
  62. the male-male converters.  Okay, you know the difference between a male and
  63. a female jack, right?  If not, ask your Sex Ed teacher.  The male's the one
  64. with the prongs, the female's the one the male plugs into.  Heh, so far, so
  65. good.  It helps to draw up a little "cable schematic" so you'll know where
  66. you need male or female ends.  
  68.   Let's just talk about adding one drive to your present drive; I'll talk
  69. about adding additional drives at the end.  
  71.   So, the only part you should need is the daisy-chain SCSI cable.  There are
  72. different lengths, 18" generally being the longest. 
  74.   Pop open the controller and look at the SCSI jack where it plugs into the
  75. controller.  Note whether the notch on the SCSI cable is facing up or down,
  76. and take a pencil and write "notch up" or "notch down" somewhere inside the
  77. controller.  The hard drive will most likely have a corresponding notch for
  78. the cable, but the controllers usually don't.  They might have a little "1"
  79. at one end of the circuit board, signifying the #1 wire of the cable, the
  80. colored one.  Either way, scribble down the pencil thing, and mark the wire,
  81. too, if you want.
  83.   Now, the first thing we've got to do is have the controller recognize the
  84. new hard drive by a different UNIT number.  You control this on the hard
  85. drive's end with the jumper blocks, and on the computer's end with the
  86. mountlist.  We're assuming your present hard drive is UNIT 0.  Go check the
  87. mountlist or your SCSI bus program to make sure.  If for some odd reason it's
  88. UNIT 1, then we'll make the new drive UNIT 2.  It'll still be "dh1:", we're
  89. talking about UNIT numbers here, not device names.
  91.   Look at the back of the hard drive, at the little jumper block pins.
  92. There might be a spare jumper block already on one of them.  Some drives,
  93. like the Maxtor, have a motor-drive jumper block, which must stay on where it
  94. is.  It's on the side closest to the edge.  That's also where, on a different
  95. make, like a SeaGate, the spare might be.  Easy enough to test: plug the
  96. power supply into the new drive and fire it up.  Everything spin normally?
  97. Kill the juice, yank off the jumper block, fire it up again.  If it doesn't
  98. spin, put the jumper back.  If it sounds right, there's your spare.
  100.   Now let's make sure the drive can be recognized as its default UNIT 0.
  101. Except for a motor-drive jumper block, if it needs one, there shouldn't be
  102. any jumpers on the drive, unless they're to the side, next to the SCSI jumper
  103. pins.  Plug the SCSI cable into the back of the drive and fire up the
  104. controller's Install disk and the power supply.  Run the install program and
  105. it should find the drive.  If not, then you got other problems, and you'll
  106. have to solve things before getting back to this point.
  108.   Okay, the next step is to have the Install program recognize the drive as
  109. UNIT 1.  Now, you can't hurt anything by putting the jumper block in
  110. different places, so unless you know which two pins the jumper goes on, take
  111. a wild guess and jam it on.  Fire up the controller disk and see if it
  112. recognizes the drive, and as what unit.  If it's not UNIT 1, doesn't make any
  113. big dif (as long as it's not UNIT 0, that's already taken), but we're trying
  114. to do this right, so cut all the power and try the jumper block in another
  115. position.  Keep notes for future reference, maybe on the inside of the
  116. controller manual.  When the controller boot disk recognizes it as UNIT 1,
  117. you did it.  If you can't find the UNIT 1 position, don't worry, just use any
  118. position but UNIT 0.  If the controller just insists on reading it as UNIT 0,
  119. no matter what position the jumper is in, doesn't matter, just leave it as 0
  120. and make your other drive a different UNIT number.  No need to reformat, just
  121. move the jumper block and change the Mountlist.
  123.   Okay, we're almost there.  Run the install program, and run through the
  124. routine until the new drive's formatted and mounted.  It'll write the new
  125. mountlist, and you'll see it says UNIT = 1.  Make sure it says "DH1:" at the
  126. top.  Some controllers, like my DataFlyer, like to misname it.  People tend to
  127. think of device names as permanent, but they're not.  If you want to name
  128. the drive DH9: or Pixie:, this is where to do it.  Then just "Mount Pixie:"
  129. instead of "Mount dh1:".  Pardon my lewdness.    
  131.   Next, you'll want to copy the new drive's mountlist to your regular boot-up
  132. mountlist.  Do that however you want.  Don't forget to copy the new drive's
  133. mountlist to both your floppy's mountlist and your hard drive's.  If you're
  134. auto-booting, things should take care of themselves.
  136.   Okay, now for the test.  Unhook the SCSI cable from the controller and the
  137. drive and toss it in a drawer somewhere.  Hook the two drives up to the
  138. daisy-chain cable.  Power supply hooked up to both?  Fire up the Workbench
  139. and mount the new drive.  It should fire right up, and you'll probably want
  140. to include the new Mount line in your startup-seq.  If auto-booting, look on
  141. the Workbench screen for the icon. :)
  143.   Except for the actual physical placement of the drives, that's it, and
  144. where the drives go is up to you.  If the whine from two drives (and possibly
  145. an additional power supply) is too much, make a capture buff of my textfile
  146. on building a custom "muffler box", then build it.  If you're not into tools,
  147. well, good, this'll be a nice simple project for you to start growing up.
  149.   Well, that should do it.  Make sure to give a holler in the ol' Base if ya
  150. got probs.  I'm no "expert" on the subject, but we might be able to work
  151. things out.  The main thing is trying it first as UNIT 0.  If it's recognized
  152. at that point, then you're home free.  Just a matter of playing with the
  153. jumper blocks until it's a different UNIT number.  Good luck!  
  156.                                          TBM
  159. %Z